Friday, March 11, 2011

Bali, Indonesia

March 7, 2011


Bali!  Where does one begin to describe Bali!?!

The smiles, the chaos, the stimulation, the rainy downpours, hot, humid, in Bali you are a millionaire, the "last paradise", a land of civilization cut through untouched jungle life, a living museum going through transformation holding onto authenticity in the 21st century, the Hindu land of "magic", the isle of the God/Goddess, to every living thing contains a spirit, dance and music ward off oppression, to maintain harmony is the life work of every Balinese.


The ship docked at Padang Bay, the south eastern side of Bali and we tendered ashore ~ welcomed by traditional Balinese offering of flowers and "janur" (palm leaf) and music played by locals



Enter the streets of everyday market place ~
the zen of Balinese chaos




Time for shopping, as it comes to you...


...and is reluctant to let you go


Ahh....Bali, the mystic, the magic, the beauty of it all















Every woman wants to look her best.  Applying my lipstick several young woman asked to watch me and then asked if I had more lipstick for them.  Giving away all that I had, I now know what to pack for Bali in the future.


Spa time.  There's always time for the spa in Bali
3-hour massage at Rama Candidasa Beach Resort 






After scratching just the surface of Bali, I returned to the ship tired but full-filled and heard voices outside my balcony below.  It sounded like they were saying, "Hope! Hope!".  There on the water were families in their dugouts looking up at me and motioning as if rubbing their arms and legs.  Finally when I realized that they were asking for soap!, soap!, gathered all my soap, shampoo, conditioner, body wash and lotion and tossed it one by to them.  Most of the time I missed their boat but they quickly dove in to gather all that they could and returned to me a smile of gratitude and knowing peace in my heart.



"Shaanti", hindu word for peace

For more (sights & sounds) of Bali:


For evening entertainment aboard, the Balinese members of the ship's crew present the Balinese Kecak Dance, a mythological story which depicts a battle where Hanuman (white monkey) helps Prince Rama fight the evil King Ravana.  The music, chant and men's arms waving to simulate fire and wind easily puts one in a trance.  

Evening sail away from Bali




No comments:

Post a Comment